2009-03-28

Formations

One of my current projects is a prototype about steering, formations and pathfinding. Well, at the moment it is a prototype about steering and formations.

The goal is to have realtime battles like Total War, but thats the far future.

The current features are:
  • change type of formation
  • move formation
  • rotate formation
  • dynamically add and remove characters
How does it work:

The formation calculates the target position and orientation for each character and the characters try to reach it with their steering behaviors.

Patterns:

They define the shape of the formation. I currently have:


Steering behaviors:

If you want to know more about them, look here.

At the moment I only use Arrival, but I will soon implement Obstacle Avoidance and others.

Results:

In the first image I changed the pattern from a box to a circle and in the second I rotated a box.


The white dots are the target positions.


No comments:

Post a Comment